Cloud adoption is becoming globally widespread. Reason being its indispensable caliber. Businesses are relentlessly opting for it. Not only the cloud solutions have opted for the first time, companies are also exploring every possibility underlying cloud-based services.
Companies, lately are relying more and more on the cloud-based solutions by moving the vast majority of their operations into hosted environments. However, with many moving to the cloud, many are still facing migration issues.
If a company is ready to invest in the cloud, a smooth migration becomes essential to gain the maximum value. For which the most important traits that a successful cloud migration would need is a comprehensive strategy.
The strategy includes 9 most important considerations when thinking of migration:
1. Existing Software Licensing – Companies need to ensure that whether their existing license permits the software to be hosted via the cloud. As it might be technically feasible to host the already purchased software of the company in a Cloud environment but flexibility may create an issue at implementation state.
2. Software Compatibility – There can be software that may not work in accordance with the cloud. Which implies that before moving your existing software titles to a remote sever, make sure that the titles cope with the technology required to serve them.
3. Verifying Usage: Companies should have the means to independently verify the usage, once titles/ platforms/ infrastructure is hosted in the cloud.
4. Service Level Metrics: Speed of service and recovery from an outage are considered to be two metrics that should be factored into any measurement criteria once a cloud service goes live. It needs to be monitored that the measurements thus determined is acceptable.
5. Downtime Compensation: Losing a cloud service is a big loss, that is the reason, companies should be sure they are adequately compensated if it starts to trouble. Companies should be very particular about when any financial penalties should kick in.
6. Business Continuity: There has to be a plan for business continuity which means what they are prepared to do when they face interruption to day-to-day services.
7. Disaster Recovery: When moving to the cloud, the cloud provider should presume adequately to the potential disasters that could befall.
8. Data Location: It is the most important factor to consider, the data. Companies need to take the utmost care of data access. Software and hardware can be bought again, but once the data is lost, it’s lost forever.
9. Cloud Provider Verification: Companies have to scrutinize whether the cloud provider has the right to provide cloud services. They should rather check to see that the provider offering cloud solutions has the right to use the technology they are offering as a service.
As we excel, we are growing IT-wise. It has become a key element for all the business sizes to deliver IT services. So we need to be wiser while moving our systems to cloud for better IT experience. Companies need agile, flexible & secure IT systems, which will help them, get rid of the highly expensive on-premise infrastructures. But before the thought of Cloud Migration crawls your mind, it’s good to be cautious, but it is still better to be comprehensive and answer the troublesome questions in your minds.
Questions maybe many as to which applications should be moved first, what can be different cloud approaches and whether to move on to cloud entirely or so on and so forth. The need is to answer these questions while considering the aforesaid strategy. And then the cloud migration would certainly bring wondrous results in terms of operational efficiency, standardized workflow, and easy management of otherwise scattered data.