The client is one of the leading consumer electronics companies in India and the 10th largest mobile phone player in the world. Their portfolio ranges from feature-rich, dual-SIM phones, 3G Android smartphones, tablets, LED televisions & data cards. They sell around 2.3 million mobile devices every month, with a revenue of more than $2B.
To increase their current market dominance and engagement, the client was exploring options to create new experiences for their users. They were specifically looking for Value-added services that drove customer retention, and one of them was to provide on-demand, high-quality videos at affordable rates to all its users. An engaging mobile experience while viewing high definition videos will
- Act as a differentiator with competitors
- Help increase market share+
- Increase customer retention
- Open new monetization avenues And that’s when BluePi came into the picture.
Scalability: Given that this app will come pre-installed on the handsets in future, it should be scalable without any fuss.
Security: Given that content would be provided by publishers, security of the content is paramount. Given the recent incidents of hacking of media app platforms in India, the customer was paranoid about securing the content.
BluePi started out with Content Ingestion & Management first. We built a complete platform for content ingestion including innovative features like
- 8X faster uploads using parallelism
- Meta data Management for the content being uploaded
- Search with auto-suggest
- Drag and Drop Categorization of content
- Real-time transcoding with user notifications
Thumbnail generation Next up, we built a robust Content Delivery platform that included
- Adaptive bit-rate streaming
- Universal player
- Global Content Delivery Network to reduce latency
- DRM protection and Signed URLs for Security
- Bucket protection and encryption
- Payment Gateway Using an agile process BluePi delivered the complete product in three months from concept to delivery.
Features like DRM integration and licensing ensured fail-proof security and peace of mind for the content publishers, which was one of the pain points that the client wanted to address, right from the beginning.
AWS Service used
AWS, MongoDB, EC2, RDS, Apache, ELB, Redis, Gearman